An author with a deep background in newspapers and magazines, particularly sports, aiming to broaden my storytelling skills through quality content that generates traffic across a wide range of platforms.
St. John’s University
Bachelor of Science, Communications, 1991
- Reporter for St. John’s Today, the school’s award-winning biweekly.
Sports Illustrated (2005-2007)
Staff writer: penned multiple cover stories, including my debut piece for the magazine.
Washington Post (2002-2005)
Staff writer: covered the Washington Redskins, considered the paper’s second-most important beat after that of the White House.
Seattle Times (1997-2002)
Beat reporter: covered the Seattle SuperSonics and the NBA with articles ranging from game stories to columns.
- Starred in a weekly radio segment on Seattle’s top-rated station (KJR), sponsored by a local restaurant chain.
New York Daily News (1995-1997)
Staff writer: wrote features, and contributed to the paper’s daily coverage.
New York Times (1994-1995)
News clerk: assisted editors and writers with duties that included research.
My first article for the newspaper, published without a byline in the sports section, led to an appearance on NY1, the cable news channel. The development prompted theTimes to place me in its writing program, which comprised a handful of aspiring journalists. Soon enough, I earned the responsibility of helping to select noteworthy books of the year.
Achievements and Awards
- Wrote the New York Times bestseller, Parcells, an authorized biography of the Hall-of-Fame coach. Penguin Random House released the paperback edition in October of 2015. The 544-page book earned terrific reviews from critics as well as everyday readers. (Warren Buffett and President George W. Bush — both of whom make cameos in the bio — sent personal notes after receiving it.)
- Was among a handful of Washington Post staffers recognized in 2005 by management, through a year-end bonus, for exceptional contributions to the paper.
- Credited by Washingtonian magazine for "transforming” the Post’s coverage of the Redskins.
- Captured first place in the 2003 Editorial Contest by the Maryland-Delaware-D.C. Press Association.
- Awarded in 2002 by the National Basketball Writers Association for best feature — an annual competition that delivers a cash prize.
- Awarded in 1999 by the National Basketball Writers Association for best game story of the season.
Miscellaneous Skills and Abilities
- Created a multimedia website for Parcells in late 2014 that continues to generate traffic.
- Experience in live interviews on national televison.
- Have made numerous radio appearances, including on business-oriented stations.
- Experience in live chats with readers on line, responding to coverage.
- Despite a sportswriting background, have written about an eclectic mix of subjects and topics: profiling famous music artists, penning business-related articles and even contributing tocoverage on the 2004 presidential campaign (with the most-emailed article in the Washington Post that day).
- Beyond full-time employment, have worked for numerous publications, including ESPN The Magazine, Fordham magazine and Newsday.
Interests and Hobbies
I’m an a stock market enthusiast, particularly in biotechnology. I plan to eventually explore comedy and screenwriting.
References (contact information up request)